Friday, December 21, 2012

Antique

Dusting off the cobwebs as I reenter my favorite place, here.
I know, I know...I have not updated any of you about my oh so extravagant and fabulous life these past few months. What a shame, you missed out on so much.
I kid, I kid. You all have been spared from my exasperating, frantic, hair-turning-gray, maddening weeks which normal people call November and December.

As you all may know, I am in the process of applying to four Occupational Therapy graduate programs. Half in-state, and half (deep breath) out-of-state. I truly am passionate about this field and after volunteering and research, I believe this is my dream career. To be honest, I will not feel accomplished until I get accepted to a program in the next coming months.

Fortunately, I planned well enough to complete all my prerequisites (I had many to fulfill just to even apply!) by this past summer. This summer, I completed my final Human Anatomy & Physiology II, 75+ shadowing hours, as well as 2 research projects. Needless to say, my summer was quite booked. Unfortunately, I never got a head start on asking for recommendation letters, studying for GRE's, or writing the dreadful personal statements.

Like always, I thought I was able to complete my remaining requirements within 3.5 months before the final deadlines in early December, along with two jobs and a full course load. Joke was definitely on me.

Despite my mental breakdowns, many tears, and minor panic attacks as I forced myself to sleep (which became my only escape), I somehow managed to fully send in my applications prior to the deadlines. I will admit to any students who will pursue graduate school, start earlier than I. I did not ask 2 of my recommenders until  NOVEMBER. I just too shy and timid to directly ask my two very busy professors who I admire so much to do a favor for me. In the end, I look bad for not providing these 2 busy individuals sufficient time to meet my deadlines.

The absolute worst part of the applying process was definitely the GRE's. I only had 1 month to prepare for it, to absolutely learn the format, style of questions, formulas, vocabulary, and strategies. I am so thankful I had Delarina taking it with me, she motivated me to study. Entire October, I sacrificed most of my weekends, FUN, and even school work to study and panic for this exam. When the day came, I felt prepared, but not enough. Like everyone says, you cannot fully feel prepared. However, I wish I had done much better since I only achieved minimum if not below average scores my programs were asking for. It's just, a 5 hour exam is draining, and without any direct feedback on how you are doing, you began to start talking to yourself and loose your sanity. During my last couple of sections, my main focus was to get margaritas right after. Which Dela and I did get, along with other enjoyable treats after our exhausting day.

Second difficult part of the process, PERSONAL STATEMENTS. My fault completely for not starting early in order to utilize my resources to the fullest. I literally wrote them a week before my deadlines. I had no idea where to began, I had just kept putting it off. Along with exams, homework, and finals approaching, I had to just write. It was really difficult, what exactly were they looking for? Is my passionate direct enough? I had so much to say but not the proper wording for it. Fortunately, Jay, my brother, and kinda sorta the Writing Tutorial lady helped a lot. However, I know this was probably not the best PS I could have written to express my desire to be an occupational therapist.

Okay, I wrote enough. I feel so much more relaxed knowing 2 of my applications have been completed and sent in. It is in their hands now, and hopefully I make a positive impact :) Wish me luck xxx

No comments: