Following the major portion of my life at the moment is....Spring Break! Unlike every other spring break where I sit around at home like always, I am going on an Alternative Service Break trip to the Dominican Republic!
I have always wanted to do a service trip. I finally met the deadlines and realized I wanted to go to DR because of the Outreach 360 program that helps children in Monte Cristi with literacy.
Dela and a few other of my friends were on this trip, and I have only heard amazing stories. I am extremely excited to spend an entire week meeting the people of this town, learning more about their culture and language, as well as serving them. I cannot wait to update you all on photos, instances, and things I have learned. I know this will be a life changing event waiting to happen.
Along the fact that I was placed into this specific trip, I applied for two scholarships to ease the price. It is pricey to go out-of-country, especially with my heavy expenses with graduate school applications, transcripts, GRE fees, etc... I was fortunate to win the full award for the "Last Chance Scholarship" (for seniors) of $500! I was also awarded $100 of the Janey Musgrave Scholarship! I have never ever won a scholarship due to my personal efforts such as writing essays. I am thrilled my essay was read by the board as someone who is worth it.
I am honored to receive scholarships to pay a major portion of my trip. I am fortunate to have family and jobs to help pay off the rest. I wish it was March already :)
I have always wanted to do a service trip. I finally met the deadlines and realized I wanted to go to DR because of the Outreach 360 program that helps children in Monte Cristi with literacy.
| Coastline of Monte Cristi |
Along the fact that I was placed into this specific trip, I applied for two scholarships to ease the price. It is pricey to go out-of-country, especially with my heavy expenses with graduate school applications, transcripts, GRE fees, etc... I was fortunate to win the full award for the "Last Chance Scholarship" (for seniors) of $500! I was also awarded $100 of the Janey Musgrave Scholarship! I have never ever won a scholarship due to my personal efforts such as writing essays. I am thrilled my essay was read by the board as someone who is worth it.
I am honored to receive scholarships to pay a major portion of my trip. I am fortunate to have family and jobs to help pay off the rest. I wish it was March already :)
No comments:
Post a Comment