Saturday, November 21, 2015

la nourriture

Throughout my entire life, I've always been aware of my slightly unhealthy relationship with food, but never did too much to improve it. I just admitted to being an overeater, constantly overindulging at the sight of food. Feeling full? What's that?! I would be completely aware that I finished an entire meal for a family of four, but still felt unsatisfied. I am a ridiculously fast eater too, practically inhaling whatever is in front of me the second I lay my eyes on it. In class or at work or driving or on the couch or in bed, I'm constantly thinking of "what should I eat? I'm hungry but not starving...I just need something little." It was tormenting not being able to identify what was the missing piece for my temporary satisfaction. I am also the friend who always wants to order dessert, but always declines as most of the people I go out to eat with never do, which is pretty insane if you ask me!! When I look at menus, I am not closing it until I know the establishment's entire list of dessert items. Once, someone at work from another team messaged me asking if I knew any good places with cakes around here, it's a specialization I have!

Anyway, I finally want to say NO to overeating, to be mindful about my meals, and to stop revolving my entire life around food. Yes, it keeps us alive, however it should NOT be an obsession. We should be satisfied with what we feed ourselves, and if we're not that means we are not doing it right.

Side note, despite my infatuation with eating food, you must realize I do not cook. I can do a few things here and there, but then again I'm a minimalist. I prepare meals with maybe 3-4 main ingredients because I have no creative mind or mindfulness to enjoy all different complimenting tastes. I rush cooking, and I never understood why one of my friends who's akin to Martha Stewart spent so much time on presentation.

I recently started reading a book about Ayurveda for Modern Women. I really want to change my lifestyle, actually return it to how I was exactly a year ago. I worked out daily after work (I had a nonexistent social life, so it made it tremendously easy), and ate fresh vegetables and fruits in almost every meal, smoothies in the morning and salads at lunch. I don't remember feeling SUPER great because I was enduring a pretty harsh breakup, but I was healthy as hell. I had self-control, goals, and awareness. I want to get back to that and lose 15 pounds. But I need to balance diet , exercise, and having a life.

I want to be more mindful about my eating, so I will start getting creative and make and enjoy meals that make me feel full, energized, AND most importantly, satisfied.

No comments: