Saturday, November 21, 2015

Oatmeal

I have this weird love for oatmeal, it is so warm and hearty and improves my mood instantly. I don't know why, it's just amazing! I used to be all about those Quaker Oat prepackaged oatmeal pouches, so much variety and tasty flavors! However over the past year and a half, I've been working towards avoiding the convenience because we all know it's full of preservatives, sodium, and it's just processed.

In my earlier confession, I mentioned that I'm a minimalist when it comes to cooking. Mainly because I'm lazy and want to just eat already! Also, it is actually one mention in Ayurveda teachings that we should always be simple in our meals, avoiding a complex combination of different ingredients. Which I also strongly believe! Our bodies shouldn't have to overwork when it comes to digestion...but i won't get into the science as I'm not at ALL an expert.

So my oatmeals in the past used to be water, oats, and brown sugar. Then I wanted to cut out sugar because that's my kryptonite. I started having oats with coconut milk / and or water depending if I'm at work or home...cooked with a LOT of cinnamon! It was definitely filling and without the brown sugar I wasn't craving more after!

But here's a new recipe that I've tried all this week that has given me energy, focus, and satisfaction first thing in the morning:

-1/2 cup Oats
-1 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk
-a lot of Cinnamon
-1 Banana, sliced
-A small handful of Craisins
-A sprinkle of Sliced Almonds

It's sweet without added sweeteners, has a little crunch and tartness! It incorporates a lot of different tastes and so filling, you won't think about 'what's next on my 'to-eat' list?'





It's a pretty chilly but sunny Saturday afternoon (I woke up late and I can enjoy breakfast whenever I want to). I wanted to disconnect from the internet because I had spent the entire morning coordinating a bachelorette party with my friends. I also wanted to get some more reading in my current read on Ayurveda for Modern Women. Another factor in balancing your life is to be in touch with nature, so I enjoyed my meal out on my patio reading. I know eating while watching TV / Texting/ being distracted is a HUGE factor to overeating. It was really nice :)

Before I made this meal today, I was reading a section of 'Meditation on Eating'. The author mentioned this strategy of relaxing, and visualizing your Inner Goddess in your belly. She could be as beautiful as you imagine. Next, imagine you are going to feed this beautiful Goddess within you. How would you prepare her meal? What would you give her? How would you plate it? Would she rush her meal? How would she eat it, how does she enjoy it? Once she's done, does she rushes off to do something next or is mindful of what she ate?

I want to feed my inner goddess in the most fanciest and meaningful way possible, with pretty plates and colorful foods. I want to make the food with love and take my time. I want to feed her with the ripest and most natural foods. That visualizing really helped me!

Enjoy!

No comments: