Friday, June 10, 2011

First week of Classes

Okay, so I complained so much last post but I gave it a week and you know what? My classes aren't THAT bad!

It's just difficult to get in the role of SCHOOL and on top of that...FRENCH.

Tuesday wasn't too much better, I remember it was hard for me to focus in class, but breaks helped get my energy back up (we get cookies which I'm guilty of taking a little more than few!). After a long day of classes, Cassie and I decided to stay in for dinner. I made Maggie, it waas so nice to have Indian spices in my body again! We ate with the group in our dorms basement! My huge plate of Maggie made me tired and Cassie and I knocked out on the sofa sharing a blanket, and one pillow. Everyone took pictures of us because we "were sooooo cute". Guilty ;) hahaha
Later, I remember we got hungry again and had biscuits with nutella. Yum.

Wednesday, another day of getting into routine. I had my first conversation class which was pretty difficult at first. I constantly had to ask for Madame to repeat herself, or to explain more about what she was talking about. I realized I wasn't the only one feeling discouraged and after the 10 minute break and talking to my friends and a few of my classmates, I felt much better.

We learned a lot of slang words and phrases and words of endearment. I love "Ma pomme d'amour"
After our conversation class was lunch break. Joe and I went to a sandwich place where I got a tomato mozerella panini, mm mmm mmmm! Haven't had a good meal in AGES. After that we had to meet up everyone at the meeting point to go to...BELGIUM!

We went to a WW1 memorial and cementary. Just like Omaha Beach, it was a very emotional visit. Very beautiful place as well. It was peaceful and gorgeous, filled with flowers that take your mind off on the goriness of a war but the remembrance of the fallen soldiers.

On the bus after, I knocked out until we reached Yrep, Belgium. What a lovely town it was! It is actually how I initially pictured Lille! Historical sites, cobble stoned roads, quaint shops!

We had free time so my friends and I visited the WWI museum and strolled through the stores! Poor Joe had to watch us clothes shopping, but I take "poor" back because he complained a lot!

Then it was time for dinner, which I might shed a tear...because it was the most delicious meal I've had! I had to wait a long time to get it, everyone at my table was almost done, but it was pasta with pesto sauce and mozerella and vegetables and I was in LOVE. I was quiet for most of dinner because I was indulging the most amazing thing EVER.

Afterwards I tried to watch this ceremony under the bridge but I couldn't see :( It had been a long day and I was excited to get back on the bus!

Thursday

1 comment:

Laura said...

Took me awhile to understand Maggie is a food not a person lol! Had to keel re reading it. So glad ur having fun and finding good food! Love u!!!!